Looking at natural gas home appliances could be a good option to save money while seeing increases in performance and productivity.
There is a high supply of shale gas in the United States meaning that prices per unit are low and stable, and shale gas is relatively the cleanest fossil fuel, therefore, it can be regarded as the most eco-friendly alternative.
If you already have a gas line in your house, or are completing a new home you may wish to think about the probable gains of natural gas home appliances and natural gas household appliances. Learn more about gas appliances below from Done-Right Davie Appliance Repair:
What is a Gas Appliance?
A natural gas home appliance runs on gas as the main fuel source. These goods are a workable alternative for electrical goods for heating your living space, providing hot water, heating food and even cooling your home and laundry.
Usually you will still need to supply electricity to a gas appliance. The quantity electricity needed depends on how the appliance works. E.g, a natural gas water heater will produce hot water even during a power cut, whereas a gas clothes dryer still needs electrical components to make the drum turn.
Types of Gas Home Appliances
Natural gas isn’t just for heating.
Heating your home with natural gas is usually less expensive than providing heat using electricity. Your costs could be cut in half subject to your fuel prices and relative efficiency gains.
Natural gas provides higher air temperatures and is more reliable.This is due to gas lines being less exposed to the elements than power lines.
An Indoor Fire
Apart from keeping your home warm gas is great for a log fire with real flames.Forget the hassle of having to collect or buy logs or clean out the ashes. With a gas fireplace, you still get real flames and a focal point without the mess.
Cooling Your Home
Gas can be an adept way to keep cool, even if there is a power failure.
Natural gas air conditioning requires a bigger initial investment but is cheaper on an ongoing basis meaning a better return on your investment. Better performance also has a positive impact on your carbon footprint.
There are two types of gas water boilers, non-tank and tank. Gas heaters are faster and more productive than their electric alternatives. Tankless water heaters also give a continuous supply. Invaluable if you have a big family that enjoys long showers.
The fact that natural gas lines are usually hidden and sheltered from the elements means you can still have the ability to shower even if you don’t have electricity.
Everyone has heard the saying “cooking with gas”. A gas company marketing line created to link natural gas to effectiveness and efficiency.
Clever marketing or not the saying has stuck around because it is accurate. Most chefs choose natural gas for the ease with which you can vary the heat, and natural gas ranges provide a much more efficient way of converting energy into heat.
Gas might not be the immediate place your mind goes when it comes to drying clothes, however, natural gas tumble dryers are a great choice. They heat the air a few degrees hotter thus clothes dry in a shorter time and clothes have to endure less tumbling.
Natural Gas doesn’t just have indoor uses. Outside the home, natural gas is often used for lighting and outdoor cooking and even to heat your spa.
Wow friends before they even reach the front door with driveway lighting, keep them warm on cool evenings and get dinner ready outside, when you like, and without the worry of remembering to fill up your propane bottles.
Just like indoor heaters a pool or spa heater will heat the water twice as fast as an electric heater. And gas patio heaters set the mood as well as providing heat for perfect outside entertaining.
Advantages of Natural Gas Home Appliances
As in all things there are pros and cons to gas appliances. Here are some of the benefits of choosing Natural Gas.
- Natural gas is generally less expensive than electricity saving you money on your annual utility costs.
- Natural gas appliances tend to use less energy making them financially and environmentally viable.
- Gas is an environmentally responsible selection as it is the least polluting of the fossil fuels, contributing around 27% less C02 than oil and 45% less carbon dioxide than coal.
- Natural gas supplies are generally more reliable and less susceptible to damage or interruption This means you can still heat water even if you get a power outage.At worst you might need to find a match.
Cons of Gas Appliances
- Gas devices generally are subject to a higher initial investment. Both the value of the appliance and the installation cost are likely to be higher for a natural gas appliance when looking at next to electrical goods.
- Having a natural gas line installed can be costly. The price will vary depending on how close the nearest supply is to your home.
- Moving or extending a natural gas line can also be expensive so this should always be added to any cost benefit analysis.
- Safety comes first and carbon monoxide can be an issue if natural gas devices are not installed correctly or regularly maintained. making sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm is a must is you use natural gas in your home.
Should You Choose Natural Gas?
Making the choice between natural gas and electricity is not straightforward and the best choice for you might not be the right choice for everyone.
If your main driver is cost gas is for the time being the least expensive fuel. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have gas, switching to natural gas comes at a cost. With this in mind, finding out how much a new gas line would cost if you don’t currently have gas appliances is a good place to start.
Another reason to choose gas is that you are less likely to get interruptions in supply. If power cuts happen often where you live then having appliances that continue to work during power failures can be a huge benefit.
Lastly, in environmental terms, while natural gas home appliances are generally more efficient you can’t power them from renewable sources in the same way you can electrical goods. Installing renewable energy could be a better investment and more environmentally responsible options in the long run.